It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:57 am

In answer to a post on power lineman today 

Post In answer to a post on power lineman today
bren guzzi
Well
Featured Sponsor

Originally Posted by reppy007
Hey Bren.....can you give us an amount,how many different locations/or many times have you moved.Seems like too much for me to keep track.And have you found yourself back in a town in which you left before,in other words have you made the circle more than once?
Well Reppy
I was born in London and moved to Ireland when I was eight.
I worked for the E.S.B. ( irish electricity board ) as a linesman from starting as an apprentice UNTILL 1989
I then went to New Zealand for two years working for A.E.P.B. The Auckland electric power board.
I returned to Ireland for a few months with the ESB.
I WAS ON MY WAY BACK TO NEW ZEALAND when I got offered a job with the National grid "in the UK " (on pylons) while with the grid I got involved with live line ( helicopter work ) and the installation of fibre optic
With the live line ,we trained in France and Germany.
And with the fibre optic we did a few jobs around Europe .. Including Norway and Sweeden . Think I was with the grid for fifteen years.
I left the grid and returned to Ireland ..I started working telecoms. Mainly building masts and new installations... While I was doing that work a friend asked me to do a few jobs " STAGE RIGGING. " for outdoor concerts. I did loads of stage building for the big concerts in Ireland Including Rod Stewart, Oasis, the Rolling Stones, Metallica , U2 ,, etc etc.
I was on my way to the uk to buy a motorbike and while there went for an interview for a company called Carrillion. Building pole lines in Wales. Took that job and worked for them for a year or so UNTILL they lost the contract. That's where I met the guys I'm with now. After we lost our jobs in Wales we got a call from Scotish and southern electricity ...we went as a crew there for three years.
We left There as a crew( coz of all the BULL we got.)
We are now working in Wales again but for a different company..been here nearly a year. Maybe I will be here UNTILL I retire. Who knows. But if my past record is anything to go by.

I COULD END UP ANYWHERE.
I don't know how many times I've moved altogether for instance when in Scotland for three years we lived in 11 different towns..

Think I move more than a NOMAD. . In Wales this evening writing this. ( in second house since arriving) ... Work tomorrow.. As soon as I finish. I will drive to the ferry. And be back in Ireland to see the LONG SUFFERING BETTER HALF. ( Antoinette ) .. Four days home.then back on the ferry Sunday eve.

I've even lost count now Reppy ...
IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Profile Send private message