It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:37 am

Are you concerned about this healthcare issue? 

Post Re: Are you concerned about this healthcare issue?
I too wrote my representative. Except I told mine that I will gladly be handing him his walking papers in the November election. 85% of Sanford Bishop's constituency (SouthWest Georgia) is against the passing of this bill. So what does he do? He votes for it because Pelosi told him to.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:46 am
Profile Send private message

I would like to say I share your ideals on federalism, but the reality is that I enjoy a lot of what .gov has funded. I am not sure I would like to start cutting back, even based on principles. What I think is a good program is probably deemed a waste by others, and vice versa.

Plus as is no surprise, I am more liberal than most on this forum in some areas. I like the fact that this bill will make it so pre-existing conditions don't prevent someone from getting insurance, and that they won't get dropped suddenly when they get cancer. I think these are good policies. Even as I cognitively understand that the Feds should not be involved in healthcare, based upon our founding documents. It is hard to hold contrasting beliefs. I feel schizophrenic.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:48 am

Max wrote:
Do you really think ANY of the morons in Washington give 2 shits about any of us?

I don't it's possible for them to. That's the nature of the game. They're in it for themselves, just like everybody else.

However, it conveniently works well when it's a win-win situation.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:56 am

Mike wrote:
Wars end...

let me know when.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:56 pm
Site Admin

omnibishop wrote:
Mike wrote:
Wars end...

let me know when.

way before this healthcare nightmare does

If You Use a Phone in Mexico, Can You Press 1 For English?

Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:00 pm

There's a chance this current war will be over before the healthcare nightmare ever gets started, since it was carefully (and conveniently) crafted to only start the most egregious affronts after the next presidential election.

At least I hope we'll have our troops back home by 2014. Too much longer than that and we'll start providing health care to Afghanistan and Iraq.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:12 pm
Profile Send private message YIM AIM

Mike wrote:
and for the record....I'm not against HC reform.....I just want the same plan that congress has

Or they get the same one we are being coerced into.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:06 pm
Site Admin

coerced implies that we had a choice

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:46 pm

I'm afraid there will be longer lines in the ER than ever before. I pay for my health insurance. I think I ought to be able to choose my own dag gum doctor!

Middle class is screwed once again. This HC is another way of things slipping under the radar. Mark my words, it isn't a good thing for where America is headed.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:24 am

Really you think the ER will be more crowded? Because where I sit it is the only relief people have when their kid has a cold and they cannot afford a doctors visit to take them to the ER because you wont have to pay. I have been in there for real emergencies IE my grandmother falling down and busting her head wide open and we waited two hrs while the 10 kids with running noses were seen...I mean really there is no other resource for them so I understand...kinda

Trust me we already are paying for the ones that dont have insurance it is reflected in the $19 we pay for one tylenol if we are in the hospital. Costs are being recooped no matter where they stick it to us well they are sticking it to us. My brother cannot afford insurance coverage for his family because it would cost more than 50% of his pay to do so...his employer offers it but covers none of the premium making it completely out of his reach...is that right? Do we not care that we are not taking care of each other? Are we that selfish and stingy? I mean when a country like Cuba is taking better care of their citizens than the mightiest country of them all what does that really say about America?

Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:28 pm
Site Admin

Kitty wrote:
Really you think the ER will be more crowded? Because where I sit it is the only relief people have when their kid has a cold and they cannot afford a doctors visit to take them to the ER because you wont have to pay. I have been in there for real emergencies IE my grandmother falling down and busting her head wide open and we waited two hrs while the 10 kids with running noses were seen...I mean really there is no other resource for them so I understand...kinda

Trust me we already are paying for the ones that dont have insurance it is reflected in the $19 we pay for one tylenol if we are in the hospital. Costs are being recooped no matter where they stick it to us well they are sticking it to us. My brother cannot afford insurance coverage for his family because it would cost more than 50% of his pay to do so...his employer offers it but covers none of the premium making it completely out of his reach...is that right? Do we not care that we are not taking care of each other? Are we that selfish and stingy? I mean when a country like Cuba is taking better care of their citizens than the mightiest country of them all what does that really say about America?

Is it really out of his reach or could he maybe buy less expensive homes, cars, toys?
Maybe if you can't afford to insure the kids, you shouldn't have them?
I feel like a fool for living within my means and paying medical insurance on my wife and myself all these years....we are somewhat rewarding those who chose to gamble.

My unemployed stepson is on welfare....we, the taxpayers, support him, his wife and newborn baby but he has money to go out and get tatoos all over his body (which makes him a little more unemployable), he has money to buy cigarettes and pot but somehow it is the taxpayer's responsibility to supplement his family.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:51 pm

Well he isnt on welfare and no it really is out of his reach my brother paid $68k for his home his wife's car he bought wrecked and repaired it himself as that is his line of work...they live well within their means but when your company says to insure your family you will be paying $600 out of each weekly paycheck it is quite crazy. They are still able to pay for their children to see a doctor and get their shots and whatnot but in the case of an emergency...well that will bill will fall on us the so called "responsible"

Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:56 pm
Site Admin

I can sympathize with those in that position but once again, if you can't support your kids (including insurance) why are you having them?

Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:58 pm
Site Admin

smm had the same problem with his family insurance. He paid high premiums until the kids were school age.
Once the kids started school, his wife went to work at a job that had crappy pay (at the school district) but offered decently priced family insurance. They found a way to do it but for the 1st 6-7 years smm had no option but to stay in his $40,000 home, drive his 15 yr old vehicle and pay the high premiums....all of this was on his $25,000-$30,000 income. (this was back in the mid-late 90s)

He has since built a nice home in Pearland but still buys used vehicles....his family still has complete medical insurance though.

There are ways to do this if you are willing to make sacrifices......the problem is a lot of people feel that they shouldn't have to make sacrifices

Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:12 pm

Kitty wrote:
I mean when a country like Cuba is taking better care of their citizens than the mightiest country of them all what does that really say about America?

Why do they keep sneaking into our country then? If they truly took such good care of their citizens the immigration would flow the other way. Remember Elian Gonzalez? If their health care is so good why was there an uproar about sending him back?

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:24 pm
Profile Send private message YIM AIM

Mike wrote:
I can sympathize with those in that position but once again, if you can't support your kids (including insurance) why are you having them?

So because insurance companies and the healthcare industry wants to be BILLIONAIRES responsible hardworking people shouldnt be allowed to have children? I mean they have two kids...they met fell in love and wanted a family....I dont think not having children is the answer...they arent kids who got knocked up at the age 15 and cannot support their child...that is the stupidest way to justify a problem

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:30 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Kitty wrote:
I mean when a country like Cuba is taking better care of their citizens than the mightiest country of them all what does that really say about America?

Why do they keep sneaking into our country then? If they truly took such good care of their citizens the immigration would flow the other way. Remember Elian Gonzalez? If their health care is so good why was there an uproar about sending him back?

Okay so there isnt enough work for how many people are in the small country BUT they have outstanding healthcare

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:30 pm

and honestly they all get it here when they crowd into our ER's for visists that should be made to their PCP....but ER = free and PCP = $175 per visit

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:31 pm

Ranter, Raver and Nitpicker Extraordinaire

So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause. - Star Wars

"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:36 pm

And to be clear they both carried employer provided insurance before they had children...adding on kids is tripling your premiums...when my brother moved to a new job to make more money that company offered no portion paid. It was the same time she stopped working to be a stay at home mom...now they are just screwed. We are just really lucky that Steven works for the state and has free insurance and adding on our daughter is only about 125 a month...most are not so lucky

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:36 pm