It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:22 pm

My golf pro 

Post My golf pro
He hasn't played really in a few years. Took a few min's to get his swing close to where it should be. Still has some minor adjustments to go as can tell by the pic. Good thing Tj has a dad who can still play amazingly and know how to teach the game ;) :D

Btw, he's 5'5" and right at about 105lbs LOL!

Attachments:
tj.jpg
tj.jpg [ 81.44 KiB | Viewed 2208 times ]

Tue May 07, 2013 10:42 pm
Profile Send private message AIM

Post Re: My golf pro
That's TJ? Where has the time gone?

Wed May 08, 2013 3:24 pm
Profile Send private message

my pro would be very happy that the club isn't open or hooded.

Hard to believe how much he has grown.

Wed May 08, 2013 7:50 pm

Wow! How old is he now?

Thu May 09, 2013 3:29 am

I know! He's getting huge! He's 12 now!

Yea Tim. My dad started taking him to the range a few times and said he's picking his head up and topping the ball and all that. It wasn't him picking his head up. His club face was wide open and he was lifting his body up on the down swing because his back swing was so extended he literally had to "lift" his body to bring the club back around. And, he was lifting his left leg on the back swing. Took me about a half bucket to get him squared as to what he needed to do while holding his left heel on the ground with the grip of another club lol.

I made him stop at 3 o'clock(the picture), and end of his back swing to show me(and him) where the club face was at and what was correct and what he didn't want. I used another club and held it where his back swing should stop at, and made him hit the club I was holding a ton of times so his muscle memory tells him where the correct stopping point is.

The club still needs to come more parallel to the target, he's swinging inside out. Which is gonna start making him slice if he doesn't keep the club face closed.

Fri May 10, 2013 1:44 pm

Here's where his back swing is. (These pics are screen shots of the video I took of him hitting the ball. I love my iphone lol.)

I'm working on his arm being straighter and more extended out, which should put the club placement better then whats showing.

Attachments:
tj2.png
tj2.png [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 2173 times ]

Fri May 10, 2013 1:53 pm

he is fortunate to have such a good coach.

He has something he will enjoy for a lifetime.

Mon May 20, 2013 7:30 pm

He's 12? I didn't realize he's the same age as Bradley. Time does fly don't it?

Thu May 30, 2013 10:59 am

I know Lone it does!! :(:

He's entered in the PGA's Drive Chip and Putt challenge for juniors July 13'th in Orlando at the Rio Pinar Country Club. He and I aren't expecting a stellar performance or anything seeing he realistically just started learning how to really hit the ball. (My dad sort of entered him without him/I knowing about it a while back.. :rolleyes: ) And I told him that if his swing isn't where he feels confidant to really hit a good drive, then just go and hit it without any fear, or real power so it stays straight. And we'll focus on the chipping and putting of the challenge.

You can see from the very first pic on the thread his right elbow chicken winging out/up.. We fixed that issue. I was forced with a tough decision to make with his grip. He wants to grip the club like he's strangling it to death. I made him switch from a interlocking style, to a overlap style grip, as well as got his hands where they need to be. But its taking a little longer go "stick" then I was hoping. He also wants to snap his wrists back to start the back swing. And I've had to slowly show him what doing that does with simple feet together, 1/4 swing drills. How it not only changes the angle at which the club impacts the ball, which changes the loft on the club dramatically, but how at the top of his back swing, by snapping the wrists at the take away, the hands are leading and not the body. And that his hands have to roll over more to square the club face again and its to much movement to happen in 1.5 seconds lol. So why not start it correctly. It was honestly a night and day change when he actually saw the ball go dead straight with a slight fade at the end vs a draw, or a slice because he had to roll his hands over so fast and much.

He's stopped the snapping of his wrist at the take away, but because he's so skinny and not a lot of muscle(working on having him life some light weights to build muscle here soon), the best way to say what he's doing is rotating is bicep/forearm of his left arm, while keeping the wrist straight to start the movement. And its keeping his left arm from staying straight on the back swing and not allowing him to get full shoulder rotation and causing his shoulder plane to change from what it should be, which causes him to hit about 3-4" behind the ball and taking a huge divot. But he's getting better. Haven't pushed him to get on the course yet, because I want him to be confidant with his swing on the range first. And then we'll see what he can do. Probably in a few months.

This sequence pic was from 2 weeks ago. I paused the video and took a screen shot of the points the best I could on my phone, then put them together here on the computer. I went to high school with a guy who works for ESPN wide world of sports center down here as a photographer and he said he'll come out and set some camera's up and take some super high speed shots of his swing whenever I want him to. Which I think will be amazing!!! Would be awesome to see his swing move inch by inch throughout the movements and not being limited to only seeing 7 movements like I have now. When Tj's get's his swing worked on just a little more we'll do those type of pics. Or when I feel I can't help his swing more and need a better set of eyes I'll be able to send video and still pics to real pro's to get it 100%.

I'm a pretty happy dad here lately seeing him progress and knowing I'm teaching him. :true: :yay:

Check this out though.

Attachments:
all.jpg
all.jpg [ 95.63 KiB | Viewed 2062 times ]

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:29 pm

Cool

Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:08 am