It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:41 pm

Rentals 

Post Rentals
I am thinking of renting a vehicle to make a trip to Lake Wales Memorial Weekend to attend my cousin's daughters wedding. My Mom and I are going. Just don't feel good about driving my car down there. Last time I rented one was two years ago to have spoiler on the CTS painted. I think it was a Buick.

When you rent one, what do you tend to get?

Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:58 am
Profile Send private message

Post Re: Rentals
We had a jeep cherokee while in Georgia a day after the ice storm. Smooth quiet ride. Never a wiggle on icy patches. Just took a Mazda CX thing to H-town and back... lots of road noise and seemed to steer funky on turns.

I prefer national car... sign up for emerald and you can pick your own car off the lot.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:07 am

I have rented a ton from Hertz the last few years. Honestly for their mid size (they consider them full size) cars, I like the Impala the best. It is the most comfortable.

I almost won't take an Altima and won't take a Camry unless it is the last thing they have.
I have been given a Camaro, Eclipse and several other things over the years.
I got some Buick that was pretty nice one time.

I rented a Jeep in Hawaii

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:39 pm

I asked the Boss if I could have a jeep for my next vehicle and he said no. :green:

I might try the jeep. The Buick drove nice, but I really don't know enough to decide which ride is best. I figure someone would know or have rented would know! :green: Thanks Tommy and Tim!

Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:41 am

People come to me a lot when they are looking to buy a car because I get exposed to so many different brands and I drive them all when they are used.

My general advice has become this: avoid Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep like the plague, and gravitate towards VW and Ford. That's simply where the quality is.

Oh, and if you can afford an Audi, buy an Audi. Period.

GOOD cars to buy:
Volkswagen
Ford
Mercedes
Lexus
Audi

Acceptable cars:
Subaru
Nissan
Toyota
Honda
GM Products
Kia (almost makes it on the good list, actually)
Hyundai
Mini

Cars to avoid if you don't hate yourself:
Mopar Products
BMW
Fiat

Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:59 pm
Profile Send private message YIM AIM

I am curious why BMW makes the avoid list, I have heard the service/repair nightmares, I am guessing that is the reason.

Everyone warned me about Land Rover, but I figured in 2010, there is no way they could make a vehicle as bad as their reputation.

As it was being dollied out of my garage, I realized they could and they did.

Very happy with my cheap Mercedes so far, I mainly chose it over BMW because you can't throw a cat without hitting a 3 series around here.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:08 pm
Site Admin

Nyarlathotep wrote:
People come to me a lot when they are looking to buy a car because I get exposed to so many different brands and I drive them all when they are used.

My general advice has become this: avoid Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep like the plague, and gravitate towards VW and Ford. That's simply where the quality is.

Oh, and if you can afford an Audi, buy an Audi. Period.

GOOD cars to buy:
Volkswagen
Ford
Mercedes
Lexus
Audi

Acceptable cars:
Subaru
Nissan
Toyota
Honda
GM Products
Kia (almost makes it on the good list, actually)
Hyundai
Mini

Cars to avoid if you don't hate yourself:
Mopar Products
BMW
Fiat

Do the trucks/vans follow the same list? Whatcha think about the new Ford Vans?

If You Use a Phone in Mexico, Can You Press 1 For English?

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:14 pm
Site Admin

TimMAY wrote:
I am curious why BMW makes the avoid list, I have heard the service/repair nightmares, I am guessing that is the reason.

Everyone warned me about Land Rover, but I figured in 2010, there is no way they could make a vehicle as bad as their reputation.

As it was being dollied out of my garage, I realized they could and they did.

Very happy with my cheap Mercedes so far, I mainly chose it over BMW because you can't throw a cat without hitting a 3 series around here.

Still have the Denali?

I Zaino'd mine yesterday...looks great but I'm a little sore :)

If You Use a Phone in Mexico, Can You Press 1 For English?

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:16 pm

TimMAY wrote:

That's part of it, the other part is purely subjective. They call BMW "The Ultimate Driving Experience" but in my opinion it's the worst feeling driving experience out there. Every time I get the chance to drive a BMW they never fail to disappoint me with the strange voodoo that it does with driver input. Pushing the gas pedal down doesn't open the throttle, it prompts a computer to decide if and when it should open the throttle and how much and maybe it should just sort of feather itself up and down for no good reason. Even the steering feels disconnected from what you're doing.

I have to think it's only the "Ultimate Driving Experience" for drivers who don't know better. My simple old Lincoln mid-size is 10 times more pleasurable to drive.

Also - I have to admit there are some older BMW M5s that are all about pure driving brilliance, my opinion is more geared towards people just buying cars to drive around town.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:13 pm

Mike wrote:
Do the trucks/vans follow the same list? Whatcha think about the new Ford Vans?

Trucks follow the same curve for me - nothing is matching the F150 right now in my opinion, although I have to admit the new Rams have figured out truck interiors - they are almost luxurious. I've always been a fan of GM trucks, but in my opinion they are behind the curve right now as far as features and quality go.

And I have to admit I haven't driven anybody's vans... so I can't give you a good opinion on that.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:16 pm

Quote:
Pushing the gas pedal down doesn't open the throttle, it prompts a computer to decide if and when it should open the throttle and how much and maybe it should just sort of feather itself up and down for no good reason. Even the steering feels disconnected from what you're doing.

So its the computer that makes most BMW drivers assholes. :green: Case solved.

Lease is just about up on our Subaru Outback. We are leaning towards the new Forester. They updated them for the 2014 model. (We are looking at the 2015)

Since Subaru only made your acceptable list, how do you feel about these, both the Outback and the Forester?

Ranter, Raver and Nitpicker Extraordinaire

So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause. - Star Wars

"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:53 am

Subaru for me is like Kia, they almost belong on the list of cars I whole-heartedly endorse. There is something about the materials they use in their interiors that makes them feel "cheap" to me when they are not cared for well. There's been a couple of used Subarus that I've sat in and my first reaction was not good. However, I've never driven one that hasn't been 100% mechanically sound no matter how old or how much mileage. And they are a solid driving car.

Kia is a funny case, I think their cars became something worth driving only recently. The new Optima is bad ass, that's all there is to it. I'd almost put it right up there with the Fusion as far as build and drive quality go. But I just can't tell somebody "Go buy a Kia" - those words just don't feel right.

Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:18 am

Those new Optimas are really appealing to me. I'd love to trade in Omni's Scion '05 XB for one. But it's his car, so I can't dictate what he gets... too much ;)

Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:21 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
There is something about the materials they use in their interiors that makes them feel "cheap" to me when they are not cared for well. There's been a couple of used Subarus that I've sat in and my first reaction was not good. However, I've never driven one that hasn't been 100% mechanically sound no matter how old or how much mileage. And they are a solid driving car.

Pretty much spot on for some Ive seen. Our Outback interior is light beige leather and probably looks as good as the day we got it. We looked at a 2011 Forester yesterday that looked beat. Maybe care is the word.

Oil changes are all we've needed in 3 1/2 years and vehicle still seems solid with 33 MPG possible on trips.

My only complaint, just not fun!! Hoping the Forester will be more so.

Thanks, NY.

Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:07 pm

If you get one of those WRXs... now those are FUN. They shuffle so fast it makes me laugh out loud.

Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:57 pm

I love the Audi, mom had the 5000 and it was great n never any problems with it, my cousin has the TT. I want an A5 or A8! Audi keeps innovating with the headlights too and uncle Sam keeps telling them no for some dumb reason.

Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:07 pm

Ny-

Any insight on the Chevy Equinox? For some reason she threw this into the mix.

She is now pissed at Subaru (and so am I) leasing. Nitpicking on turn in inspection to the tune of about $500 on 2 items, one a scratch that you can barely see in the sunlight. Totally missed a much worse one and oh yeah, a $300 turn in fee that we were assured at purchase that there was not one. It IS on a paper she signed so I guess we are screwed.

Thu May 01, 2014 7:01 am

I don't have any intel on the Equinox, the closest I know about those is all the other Chevy/GMC SUVs I've driven. The only problem I have with them is that they turn into a creaky sailing ship after a few years. Everything in them seems to groan and squeak even if you're just shifting your weight around in the driver seat.

My mom is on her second Trailblazer and she loves them, I guess all the creaking and groaning and rattling doesn't bother her.

You get into an older Edge and it still has a solid, bank vault feel to it. That's what I like. Maybe the Equinox is built better? I doubt it, knowing the recent history of GM's quality control in general. I wouldn't want to buy from a company that is losing executives over their lack of attention to detail during the design and production of the car I was looking at.

Thu May 01, 2014 9:19 am

Lonewolf wrote:
I love the Audi, mom had the 5000 and it was great n never any problems with it, my cousin has the TT. I want an A5 or A8! Audi keeps innovating with the headlights too and uncle Sam keeps telling them no for some dumb reason.

interesting tidbit: a coworker in Chicago has an A8 and was telling me a Tesla handed his ass to him the other night on a little punch and go.

That being said, I would love to find a way to work an A8 into the fleet.

Thu May 01, 2014 1:31 pm

Teslas are bad ass and also on my top list there's one running around Macon. The wife was in D.C.a couple months ago and saw a "Dealership" there. She went in and checked one out for me, brought me home just a t shirt..
0-60 in 3.8 sec fir the S model and the X is faster by a couple tenths even though bigger and suv styled. There's a YouTube where some guy removed the nanny and smokes the tires all over this parking lot

Fri May 02, 2014 3:05 am