It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:55 am

new tires for the Escape 

Post new tires for the Escape
I am quite happy with the deal I got today on new tires. I've got 40,000 miles on my current set. I bought some BFG Longtrails from Discount Tire in Sep 2009, and I've noticed the tread starting to get wore down. So each month since February, I go over to DT and get my free air check and ask about the tread. Been at 4/32 to 5/32 since Feb. If you do the math, you can see that I don't put a lot of miles on them very quickly. They tell me my tires are warrantied for 60K, so I'm bound to get something back on them, though. So I'm itching to hit the 3/32 mark, which is when the manufacturer will honor the warranty.

I've been thinking it's about time to roll in for the May check-up when today I get an email from DT announcing a weekend rebate special. $50 back on the BFG tires like I have. I start to wonder if I should jump on the rebate this weekend, warranty be damned. I go to DT, ask the guy about the tread -- still not quite 3/32. I ask him about how much I'd get on the warranty vs the rebate this weekend. He says to come inside and we'll check. He ends up offering me the manufacturer warranty for a $190 off the price of my next purchase of tires. He says they'll go to the manufacturer to get the warranty honored, and if not, the store will eat it. My out of pocket cost after the $50 rebate will be $442. Not bad. But, the BFG tires are not in stock anywhere close -- nearest location is California.

So then he says, you could get the higher-rated Michelins that we do have in stock for a $75 rebate. That brings my out of pocket cost DOWN to $425. Yep, I'll take that deal.

Ok, new tires now, time to really quit thinkin' about a new truck/SUV for me.

And focus on getting something to replace the Toaster. :teehee:

Thu May 15, 2014 8:05 pm
Profile Send private message

Post Re: new tires for the Escape
You speak of a product line known in the car repair industry as as the conglomerate M.A.S.T. -Michelin America small tires. The BFGs will get the job done, but even the lowest line of Michelin will make you a life-long customer. For general use and most mainstream vehicles, they ate unquestionably the best damn tires, period.

That said, tire salesmen are a step below pond scum, only surpassed by the Corporate asshats they work for.

2006 Envoy Denali
2004 Silverado SS
2002 Grand Prix GTP sdn
2004 GTO A4
1999 GMC Slonoma
1999 "Project LS10"
1996 Impala SS
http://www.PanamacityLSX.com

Thu May 15, 2014 10:05 pm

02 WS6 TA wrote:
You speak of a product line known in the car repair industry as as the conglomerate M.A.S.T. -Michelin America small tires. The BFGs will get the job done, but even the lowest line of Michelin will make you a life-long customer. For general use and most mainstream vehicles, they ate unquestionably the best damn tires, period.

Those BFGs did fine by my driving, but salesman said the Michelins would provide more traction and less noise. The BFGs were noisy for sure, so I'm very curious to see how the Michelins compare. I have an install appt tomorrow morning.

02 WS6 TA wrote:
That said, tire salesmen are a step below pond scum, only surpassed by the Corporate asshats they work for.

I don't doubt it - at all - and it may be just my naivety, but I really feel like the DT here in town takes care of me and doesn't seek to rip me off. Always, always polite, courteous, and efficient. Every single one of the employees is like that.

My aunt asked me why I didn't go to the DEALERSHIP to get them to match the price. I just laughed. Fuck that shit.

Fri May 16, 2014 5:32 am

There are few things where there is one brand and then everyone else. Michelin fits that.
Every tire maker other than Michelin puts their tires through a machine that trues them up after they are molded. The mold can't make them perfectly round so they have to machine them into tolerance.
Michelin doesn't have this process. They are either cast perfect or they are rejected.

You got a good deal on a great set of tires.

Fri May 16, 2014 9:45 am

TimMAY wrote:
There are few things where there is one brand and then everyone else. Michelin fits that.
Every tire maker other than Michelin puts their tires through a machine that trues them up after they are molded. The mold can't make them perfectly round so they have to machine them into tolerance.
Michelin doesn't have this process. They are either cast perfect or they are rejected.

You got a good deal on a great set of tires.

Actually, Michelin does still true their tires. But I will agree that the mold process is vastly superior to other makes, and require far less massaging.

2006 Envoy Denali
2004 Silverado SS
2002 Grand Prix GTP sdn
2004 GTO A4
1999 GMC Slonoma
1999 "Project LS10"
1996 Impala SS

Fri May 16, 2014 10:35 am

thermalnoise wrote:
My aunt asked me why I didn't go to the DEALERSHIP to get them to match the price. I just laughed. Fuck that shit.

That may not be as laughable as it sounds. Both the little lady and I had to get new tires on our cars last year, and we would normally do that through a guy that she knows who owns a tire shop, but not even that guy could match the price with installation here at our own QuickLane department at the dealership.

I do get an employee price, sure, but after everything was said and done my price was only $0.12 less than the retail price to a customer.

Fri May 16, 2014 10:46 am
Profile Send private message YIM AIM

How would the dealership handle the warranty if I didn't buy the tires from them?

Fri May 16, 2014 12:18 pm

I can't say for sure but I'd think they would honor it. I know the guys at our QuickLane will give the same service you'd get at a tire shop - fixing flats for free, rotations for free, etc - no matter where you bought the tires from.

We also have a giant digital screen in our waiting room that shows when your car is scheduled to go on the rack, how long the tech has been working on it, ETA until finished, etc. There's also WiFi and even a couple of Roku boxes so you can watch Netflix.

Dealerships know what their reputation is. At ours at least, we fight back against that.

Fri May 16, 2014 12:29 pm
Profile Send private message YIM AIM

Rides like a new car!

Tue May 20, 2014 7:50 am

Toldja :D

2006 Envoy Denali
2004 Silverado SS
2002 Grand Prix GTP sdn
2004 GTO A4
1999 GMC Slonoma
1999 "Project LS10"
1996 Impala SS

Tue May 20, 2014 8:00 am

You did, you did.

More tire questions...

All things being equal, how does a "normal" tire on 15" wheel compare against a "low profile" tire on a 17" wheel? Say, on a basic compact/midsize sedan? I guess you would take into account that the 17" wheel is often accompanied by a "sport suspension" package.

Wed May 21, 2014 7:24 am

thermalnoise wrote:
Rides like a new car!

Nothing makes as much of a difference in ride as new tires do except for shocks (if your vehicle still uses them).

Ranter, Raver and Nitpicker Extraordinaire

So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause. - Star Wars

"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."

Wed May 21, 2014 9:17 am

thermalnoise wrote:
You did, you did.

More tire questions...

All things being equal, how does a "normal" tire on 15" wheel compare against a "low profile" tire on a 17" wheel? Say, on a basic compact/midsize sedan? I guess you would take into account that the 17" wheel is often accompanied by a "sport suspension" package.

Mainly, aside from the obvious aesthetic improvements, the function of a larger wheel diameter and the lower sidewall height of the accompanying tire improves handling considerably by reducing sidewall flex when cornering, and braking. Usually, most :quote2: Sport :quote2: packages are largely based solely on the improved handling afforded by such wheel and tire combos. A few still exist with complimentary items such as lower ride height/stiffer springs, and larger sway bars, but for the most part it's the better performing wheel and tire that make the difference to the average driver. Also, the downside is a stiffer :teehee: ride... And not always in such a desirable way.

2006 Envoy Denali
2004 Silverado SS
2002 Grand Prix GTP sdn
2004 GTO A4
1999 GMC Slonoma
1999 "Project LS10"
1996 Impala SS

Wed May 21, 2014 3:40 pm

We're now looking to trade in the Toaster... Thinking about compacts with some bells & whistles that keep us in the low 20's price-wise. A lot of them move into 17" wheel/low profile tire as you get into the nicer versions. But my biggest complaint with the Toaster is the atrocious magnification of every bump in the road.

Guess we just need to test drive and see how it feels.

Thu May 22, 2014 6:52 am

That'd be your best bet. Spring rate and weight of said vehicle can also minimize or magnify the harshness of the ride. Drive 'em all, buy what ya like.

Speedy Edit- Under no circumstances, even look at a Chrysler ANYTHING.

2006 Envoy Denali
2004 Silverado SS
2002 Grand Prix GTP sdn
2004 GTO A4
1999 GMC Slonoma
1999 "Project LS10"
1996 Impala SS

Thu May 22, 2014 7:28 am