It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:41 pm

bye bye Toaster! 

Post bye bye Toaster!
Ok maybe not quite yet. But we're 'bout ready to trade-in the Toaster. Driving to Atlanta 6 times in less than 2 weeks really drove it home: That car sucks.

Here's my short list of cars to test drive... probably won't happen until later in the month...

Ford Fusion
Ford Focus
Kia Optima
Kia Forte
Mazda 3

As you can see, I'm not sure about going with the small sedan. My big, big motivating factor for a new car is that the Toaster does not do car trips well. I want comfort and good handling on highways. Comfort in a few ways -- The way I sit and reach for pedals/steering wheel and the way it handles the many bumps we encounter. We know where they are, trust me, thanks to the Toaster.

I'll be sure to update as we move into test drives. I need available time to go out, and lately even weekends are a bit packed as I try to take care of stuff around the house and work as well to make up hours.

Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:22 pm
Profile Send private message

Post Re: bye bye Toaster!
Id vote for the KIA. Very happy with ours for the 3 months we've owned it. I think I like it better than I did the Subaru and she really does.

Take a look at the Sorrento LX and test drive if you can. Sounds like it fits your wishes very well, you sound like Jody :teehee: , and in your price range I think.
Ours was about 27K with $1000 third row seats (that we didnt want) and the $2,200 convenience package. About the price of an Optima depending on deals. Dealership here was very easy to deal with so check for deals in your area.

We seem to be getting about 25.5 mpg combined with both of us driving it. Highway better of course but no trips yet, just around town.

Dont let the size throw you, I never thought Jody would want something that big but she loves it. I dont think it is that big at all, average SUV today but probably huge compared to the toaster. Great warranty also.

Ranter, Raver and Nitpicker Extraordinaire

So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause. - Star Wars

"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."

Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:53 pm

You know the Ford Fusion and the Mazda 6 share the same platform, same with the Focus and Mazda 3. In fact, Mazda developed that platform.

That being said, they do behave differently and they have different power plants so they are each worth testing, but you just can't go wrong with that CD3 platform/chassis, it makes for a solid, smooth car.

Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:28 pm
Profile Send private message YIM AIM

No, No, and No 3 more times. :doh:

And Max, I could ride a fat chick for three months and still convince myself it was ok, but once your friends find out... :no:

I do fear that I'm the only one with taste in cars anymore.

2006 Envoy Denali
2004 Silverado SS
2002 Grand Prix GTP sdn
2004 GTO A4
1999 GMC Slonoma
1999 "Project LS10"
1996 Impala SS
http://www.PanamacityLSX.com

Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:58 pm

02 WS6 TA wrote:
I do fear that I'm the only one with taste in cars anymore.

You're the only one of something, that's for sure!

Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:05 pm

Yep, but a car salesman, I am not. ;)

2006 Envoy Denali
2004 Silverado SS
2002 Grand Prix GTP sdn
2004 GTO A4
1999 GMC Slonoma
1999 "Project LS10"
1996 Impala SS

Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:18 pm

Me either, thankfully.

I'm curious though, given what she said she's looking for in a car, what would you suggest she get? A Cruze? Malibu? Surely not a Volt?!

The Impala is a pretty stout car, but it's still outclassed by the Fusion. I would happily commit ritual murder if the reward was a CTS-V Wagon, but I don't think she's in the market for a Cadillac. What about a Buick Verano?

I'm actually waiting for one of those new Regals to hit our used lot, I'm interested in checking that out. That might be the Impala that beats the Fusion.

Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:24 pm

Agreed! Come on, Travis, what do you think I should get?

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:22 am

Max wrote:
Id vote for the KIA. Very happy with ours for the 3 months we've owned it. I think I like it better than I did the Subaru and she really does.

Take a look at the Sorrento LX and test drive if you can. Sounds like it fits your wishes very well, you sound like Jody :teehee: , and in your price range I think.
Ours was about 27K with $1000 third row seats (that we didnt want) and the $2,200 convenience package. About the price of an Optima depending on deals. Dealership here was very easy to deal with so check for deals in your area.

We seem to be getting about 25.5 mpg combined with both of us driving it. Highway better of course but no trips yet, just around town.

Dont let the size throw you, I never thought Jody would want something that big but she loves it. I dont think it is that big at all, average SUV today but probably huge compared to the toaster. Great warranty also.

Nice sell on the Sorrento, Max, but I'm keeping the Escape for now... looking for a car to replace the XB instead. Ostensibily, it's Omni's car to replace. However, I'll be the primary driver, especially going to and from Atlanta. But, I also know Omni prefers cars over SUVs and I respect that.

Though you do bring up a background thought I've had to trade BOTH the XB and Escape in for one car. But, I'm afraid that soon Omni will be driving again and I'd be forced to buy a 2nd car very soon. So for now, the plan is to trade in the XB and keep the Escape for at least 2-3 more years. Plus I like to have a truck/SUV on hand for my mountain biking. Even if I haven't been on my damn bike all year. :(:

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:25 am

Ahhh, OK. Didnt know your full plan. So of you list of choices, look at the Optima then. Thats what I meant when I said Kia, just didnt want you to maybe overlook the Sorrento.

Just trying to be helpful.

I am going to consider an Optima if I sell the T/A just to drive Travis (more) insane. :green:

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:34 am

Max wrote:
I am going to consider an Optima if I sell the T/A just to drive Travis (more) insane. :green:

:lol2:

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:35 am
Site Admin

that will be a short drive for Travis :)

If You Use a Phone in Mexico, Can You Press 1 For English?

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:40 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
I'm actually waiting for one of those new Regals to hit our used lot, I'm interested in checking that out. That might be the Impala that beats the Fusion.

Nope. Nice enough car, though.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:02 pm

Max wrote:

You are an evil man. I love you, even if you don't really drink Dos Equis. ;)

Hill, you don't even want to know what I'd suggest ;)

2006 Envoy Denali
2004 Silverado SS
2002 Grand Prix GTP sdn
2004 GTO A4
1999 GMC Slonoma
1999 "Project LS10"
1996 Impala SS

Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Mike wrote:
that will be a short drive for Travis :)

oh, ouch.

2006 Envoy Denali
2004 Silverado SS
2002 Grand Prix GTP sdn
2004 GTO A4
1999 GMC Slonoma
1999 "Project LS10"
1996 Impala SS

Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Anybody have access to carfax and can run our Scion's VIN? Curious what comes back on it.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:48 pm

to begin: A Toast for the Toaster, with an appropriate vintage 2005 Stone Cellars Merlot, the only reason I have it is
because my dad got it cleaning up houses in foreclosure for some spending cash.

Dear 2005 Scion XB: You were a fun little car,
but your time came to an end with us because you had awful suspension
and caused my right calf to cramp if I drove you for more than 5 hours in a two-three day period.

Last known photo of the Toaster by hill_242, on Flickr

Up next....

The Test Drives

Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:08 pm

First some commentary on our peculiar situation, going into the test drives.

Omni, as you all probably are aware, had seizures earlier in the summer. Due to the nature of these seizures, he will be on anti-seizure meds the rest of his life. Between that concern, and recovering from brain surgery, he has only recently started driving again, but only for short distances to get to PT or other nearby locations. As such, we were both reluctant to go test driving because he wasn't comfortable getting behind the wheel of an unfamiliar car. And if we're technically replacing his car, then we're technically shopping for his new car, not mine. Ostensibly, though, I am the one who drives us to and from Atlanta now. The comfort issue is primarily mine. We know Omni's back, as a passenger, is just screwed no matter what. With that in mind, Omni agreed that I should be the primary test driver and we should move forward rather than wait for the "perfect" time to test drive for him.

We began the test drives two Saturdays ago. Went to the Macon Kia dealer and met Leonard. He went along as we drove both a Forte and an Optima. I liked both aesthetically a great deal. Yet, I wasn't entirely sold on the driving experience, more so on the Optima. I chalk up much of that to the unfamiliarity of the cars, though. Leonard was a good salesman. He didn't put a lot of pressure on us, after I made it clear we still had other cars to check out and weren't going to buy today (I even drove my Escape so I didn't tempt them to bug me about appraising the Scion).

We left Kia and went to the Mazda dealer. They only had 1 Mazda 3 i Touring on the lot, and it was a 5 door. Andy, no not that Andy, our salesman, got in the driver seat first and gave a quick demo of its acceleration and braking capabilities (wheee). I'll go ahead and spoil you here: The Mazda 3 i Touring was my 1st choice after all was said and done. I immediately felt comfortable at the wheel and liked the handling and overall feel. It comes standard with a lot of nice options. I think if we ended up in the Mazda 3, it would have been a 4 door, but nonetheless, I was impressed with this car.

After 3-ish hours of test drives, we still needed to drive the Fords, but we called it a day. It was one of the hottest days of the year and Omni was done.

to be continued with the day 2 of test drives...

Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:21 pm

Dealerships take Sundays off, so our next round of test driving began after work a week ago, last Monday.

After driving both a Focus and Fusion, the Focus went to the bottom of the list, and Fusion moved into my top 3. Keep in mind that my Top 3 was tough to suss out as far as actual ranking. The Mazda 3, the Fusion, and the Forte were all appealing cars in their own right. I would have to begin to defer to Omni on non-driving features to help make the final decision.

Omni, to my horror, kept talking about the Kia Soul. He apparently has a hard-on for that body style, I guess. I told him if he wanted a Soul SO MUCH, then he would be required to start driving these cars to compare. No way would I let him pick a Kia Soul over a Mazda 3 without driving the damn cars. So we went to another Kia dealer in Perry and we both drove a Soul and a Forte. I knew going in that the Soul wasn't going to be a serious contender, and I was right after my test drive. My 2nd time driving a Forte was a bit different than the first. I guess I was getting used to it's feel and I thought it was a nice drive, one I could definitely be OK with.

Omni agreed that the Soul was a lesser car compared to the Forte. But what about the other two cars in my Top 3?

Omni: Forte. That's what I want.

So, that's what we began to shop around for the best deal on.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:32 pm

Is this the end?

You did say you were going to pick up your new car last Saturday so I guess it is.

Isnt a Forte kind of small? Im not familiar with them but isnt the purpose of getting rid of the toaster to get something that rides better on a long trip?

If the Fusion is still in the picture, we rented one and I was very surprised by the comfort of it. Only complaint was horrible glare on the dashboard instuments. Drove it over 1200 miles in a week.

Mazdas get good write ups but I dont like their ergonomics, same with Ford. Probably why you did like it off the bat.

Keep us informed, you know at least one of us is reading this.

A Forte will really drive Travis off the deep end also.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:58 pm