It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:45 pm

The Walking Dead 

Post The Walking Dead
Anyone else watching it? So far so good.

Ranter, Raver and Nitpicker Extraordinaire

So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause. - Star Wars

"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."

Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:21 pm
Profile Send private message

Post Re: The Walking Dead
I'm torn on this show. About 5 years ago I read the whole series of comic books and I loved them.

Now, I'm hearing a lot of great things about the show, and I have the first two episodes on my DVR. The problem is, I can't get AMC in HD here for some reason. I am loathe to watch the show in standard definition, so it sits on my DVR and I shake my fist at the TV every now and then.

I'm still not sure how I'm going to watch this show, but as soon as I find a way I will.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:24 pm
Profile Send private message YIM AIM

Cant compare it to the book version as I never read it but the TV version has been pretty realistic and shocking so far. Id mention specifics but dont want to ruin it for you.

No too many goofs or unbelievable sequences (for a zombie story). Kind of a "28 days" feel to the start.

Think this is going to be more character driven drama than action.

Bummer about the HD part. We just got the channel in HD recently. About all I can stand to watch now. LOL

Ranter, Raver and Nitpicker Extraordinaire

So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause. - Star Wars

"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."

Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

I hear they are following the comics almost exactly, which is nice because the characters and story were already very strong.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:45 pm

We've watched the first two episodes of Season 1 now.

I am not sure I bought a specific plot device in the last episode, but it played out and moved the story along.

I had nightmares last night about zombies.

I have to distract myself by playing with stuff on my iPhone during any scene I suspect will contain surprises like zombies appearing around corners and things like that. I just don't handle scares well. Someone said this series would be no worse than watching Buffy, but maybe I just have a more innate fear of zombies because I didn't have this fear while watching Buffy. I literally get an increased heart rate and have to de-stress after watching this show. Yes, I am a pansy.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:43 pm

I've caught up on this show (bought season 1 on Bluray) since we last talked about it, AND I have AMC HD now so I can watch this season without waiting!

Hill, I don't know who would compare the level of scares to Buffy, I think they are missing the point or trying to sound jaded. This show knows just how to ratchet up the tension to get your blood flowing, and if that is lost on somebody I feel sorry for them.

They didn't follow the comics all that closely, which is fine with me. There is one plot point that is vastly different in the graphic novels and I wish they would have included it in the show but for the most part I think the story they are telling is genuine to the source material. And not only that, it's good quality.

And about the plot device, I have to assume you're referring to the part where they draped themselves in zombie viscera to move through the horde. It seemed like a cop-out to me too, but that part did happen in the books as well and the visuals and audio involved made that scene worth it no matter how contrived in my opinion.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:53 pm

The zombie guts scene was gruesome but I bought it.

The part I didn't connect was the fact that Rick runs from the tank and meets Glen in an alley, they climb a ladder and make their way over several building tops (it appears). Yet somehow the walkers figure out that this means there are people in the ground floor of a department store somewhere within that building? I don't think the walkers have the reasoning powers to figure that out.

It's not a big deal, I just pondered over that.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:17 pm

I saw a couple episodes and liked it so far.

(in general question) When did Zombies go from walking/acting like stiffs; to running, CHASING, the reasoning that Hill mentioned, and even Jumping at their victims?
The other Zombie movie where the "bad guy" created a walled in city to keep them out (was just on also). Had one of the Z's REASONING enough he was picking up guns to use, directing others on what to do (butcher chopping through a wall) deduced that he and the others could cross a river by falling off the dock and walking across the bottom, then using a jack hammer! The others followed him in like.

I may have to rethink my Z plans and weapons cache...

Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:14 pm

Lone, there was a paradigm shift in the zombie genre that seemed to start with 28 Days Later. Those aren't your typical zombies in that movie: they ran, and it was terrifying. After that the remake of Dawn of the Dead featured the fast zombies and now it seems to depend on what movie you're watching, they can go either way.

I like the zombies in Walking Dead because in many ways they are more classic. They can move faster than a shuffle but they can't sprint or really run at you. The best they can do is sort of lunge forward, which is bad enough.

As for the zombie leader in Land of the Dead (that's the movie you're talking about), that was another new revelation in the genre. It's something that a lot of zombie purists got upset over, but I took a different view of it. You see, that movie is actually the 4th movie in the series that invented the genre - the series that started with Night of the Living Dead. In my opinion, George Romero has earned the license to evolve the zombies any way he sees fit.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:32 pm

how come they could jack the Challenger with a screwdriver yet continue to drive the POS RV?

Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:15 am

Yeah right Tim! And why don't they just grab anyone of the RV vehicles all over the place? Hell you think I'd be driving a ratted up pos if I were the last ones around? I'd stop at the local RV emporium (in Byron round here, home of Ben and Banjos) and pick up one of them nice slideouts.

Heck you could put some machetes on the slideout and ride down the road chopping heads off!

Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:15 am

It's not as easy as all that. You have to remember that this pocket of survivors is only alive because they've avoided any cities or population centers since the outbreak and have been camping in the woods. They have what they got there with, and that's where we pick up the story.

They got the Challenger from town and had to use it to get the hell out of there, so you can see whenever they are in a town they are capable of jacking some cars, plus Shane just found that car on the freeway that he got running in the premiere of Season 2.

I'm sure if they come across an RV lot at some point that is free of zombies and they have an hour or so to move all of their stuff in, they'll upgrade. I hear that criticism a lot about this show, about how the survivors aren't doing anything right and about how they haven't raided gun stores and camping supply stores or whatever. But all they've been doing is moving and surviving since the zombies came to town. When Rick catches up to them, they've barely established that campsite, and Glen alone is making small excursions into Atlanta for supplies. They have yet to have a chance to languish in post-apocalyptic free-form looting.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:26 am

Good points Nylar.
This has the wife and I debating on the best zombie evasion plan.
Sailboat in the middle of the lake is sounding good

Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:10 pm

I think it would be best to head for cold (freezing) temperatures.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:28 am

I like Doc's statement about Nature restoring balance every so often...

Still I'd be sooo devastated were my son to get hurt, and that part of the show made me sad. :(:

I think my New plan is to purchase a crossbow and plenty of bolts, and sharpen up my machettes. The horse is a good idea to, as it makes little noise (compared to motorcycles etc) and wouldn't need petrol to run. Just put it in a field and let it graze.

I've always wanted to do the sailing thing since the inlaws lived on Saint George Island and I saw some of the Trimirans docked in Apalach.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:34 am

I've seen too many zombie movies that end with the survivors on a boat only to find every port of call swarmed with zombies to scare me off that plan. Plus, they can and will walk under the water and they might even be buoyant in certain stages of decomp. That's all I need is a water-logged bag of bones getting over the gunwales when the watch is dozing...

Go up north where there was a low population of humans to begin with, wait until the climate freezes the zombies solid and spend the winter bashing their heads in with a sledge. It worked in World War Z! Plus you can hear them coming a mile away in the still air and snow before they freeze. Just make sure you're ready for the thaw...

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:59 am

Lonewolf wrote:
I think my New plan is to purchase a crossbow and plenty of bolts, and sharpen up my machettes. The horse is a good idea to, as it makes little noise (compared to motorcycles etc) and wouldn't need petrol to run. Just put it in a field and let it graze.

My favorite character in Walking Dead is Darryl, that dude is like a Navy Seal when it comes to zombie killing/tracking. I think he's going to be a big problem if/when Merle resurfaces, though... he doesn't need the group to survive and he doesn't have any ties to them really, even though he seems to be on board for now.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:01 am

Lonewolf wrote:
I like Doc's statement about Nature restoring balance every so often...

Still I'd be sooo devastated were my son to get hurt, and that part of the show made me sad. :(:

I've always wanted to do the sailing thing since the inlaws lived on Saint George Island and I saw some of the Trimirans docked in Apalach.

cross bow is quickly gaining favor in our camp

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:15 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
I've seen too many zombie movies that end with the survivors on a boat only to find every port of call swarmed with zombies to scare me off that plan. Plus, they can and will walk under the water and they might even be buoyant in certain stages of decomp. That's all I need is a water-logged bag of bones getting over the gunwales when the watch is dozing...

Go up north where there was a low population of humans to begin with, wait until the climate freezes the zombies solid and spend the winter bashing their heads in with a sledge. It worked in World War Z! Plus you can hear them coming a mile away in the still air and snow before they freeze. Just make sure you're ready for the thaw...

I wasn't aware they could float at some stage, that may change things. I was thinking as long as we were 20' deep or so, we would be OK. Back to the castle with moat I guess.

I am mid way through WWZ and just went through the woman's recount of going to Canada.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:17 pm

The zombie floating in the well the other episode, or was he actually standing?

Also how "hard" was it to figure out she was hot for the lil Asian dude (can't remember his name).
Missed the first part of last nights, have to watch today. So who thinks the peeps in the barn are family and or farm hands?

Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:07 am