It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:22 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Game Of Thrones 

Post Re: Game Of Thrones
Yes I have, and I really liked them. There are a lot of characters and events in those stories that inform the later timeline, even though they are not the focus. Plus I like how it reminds us of what the Targaryens were like back when they weren't just seen as "mad kings".

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:08 am
Profile Send private message YIM AIM

Interesting, thanks. I may have to add them to the kindle.

Ranter, Raver and Nitpicker Extraordinaire

So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause. - Star Wars

"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:52 pm
Profile Send private message

You might recognize a major figure in The Mystery Knight who also appears in Dance with Dragons. Even though to be alive in both stories, you would have to live longer than a mortal man...

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:13 pm

We're 5 episodes in. Omni's not following the plot very well. He finds all the different characters confusing to keep up with. I find it challenging to explain who's who and what's going on without giving away future events. And so far, not enough titties and too much penis. :teehee:

Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:57 am

I'm a bit confused over what books are the Dunk and Egg ones.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:27 pm

Ok it seems there are the Hedge Knight books, and there are the Hedge Knight graphic novels. I see.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:33 pm

The "Dunk and Egg" books are the Hedge Knight books. There are three of them - The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword, and The Mystery Knight. The graphic novels tell the same story.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:39 am

Y'all watching this season? I have a feeling I'm going to start feeling as frustrated as I've gotten with the books. Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely fascinated with the stories, but at the same time, wondering when the hell some people are going to be united with certain people, plot lines tied together, etc etc.

Watching the 1st episode of this season last night just reminded me of that! Well, at least I'll get a couple more episodes of the Adventures of Arya and the Hound, but I suspect it may come to an end next episode :rolleye: Everything after that point with Arya just makes me wonder what role she will ultimately have to play.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:11 pm

Thought it was a good, solid opening.

Tywin and Jamie exchange should have been stronger.

Thenns looked like the descendents of Xerxes from The 300.

The Hound stole the show but wheres his wound?.

Jeoffreys statue and his pose afterwards was hilarious.

Dragons CGI was fantastic and they are still better actors than Emillia Clarke.

Im kind of treating the TV series as a separate story from the books so as not to get frustrated with any changes, characters blended together, sequence of events changes and so on.

Wish the next book would come out. Maybe that will answer some of your questions. (and probably raise some new ones :green: )

Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:43 am

Max wrote:
Im kind of treating the TV series as a separate story from the books so as not to get frustrated with any changes, characters blended together, sequence of events changes and so on.

You kind of have to -- The series will end before the last book is published, and maybe even before the next book. I think the TV series may try to have some semblance of denouement to satisfy the viewers.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:50 am

They made a pretty major change in the fight at the Inn of the Crossroads. In the books, Arya balks and Sandor kills Polliver. I think the TV show's story is actually better in that regard, and I wonder if GRRM would agree now that he's written more of Arya.

Therm, I don't know where you are in the books, but Arya's story goes places. In fact, the sample chapter GRRM just released for the Winds of Winter is an Arya chapter and it is BAD ASS.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:14 am

Oh it goes places but nowhere near anybody else I want her to be!!! I am just very anxious to see what she does with her acquired badassery.

Just like Ms. Can't Control Her 3 Dragons. (Though I think the dragons _can_ be controlled but they need 3 masters, not just Daeny)

Last edited by thermalnoise on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:49 am

I also didn't pick up the Crossroads Inn fight difference. Been a while since I read that book. I finished up all the books last year.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:50 am

I'm torn on whether to read the preview chapters. I think I want to wait and read the book in its entirety.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:51 am

Actually now that I think about it, Arya does quite the number on the Tickler during that fight, stabbing him over and over again while repeating the questions he would ask when he tortured people. They didn't include much of the Tickler in show, so instead they had her repeat Polliver's words and kill him instead.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:00 am

Max wrote:
The Hound stole the show but wheres his wound?

That's a good question, without that wound the story can't go the same place it did in the books. It could be a case where he is actually wounded and he's just not letting on yet - he was rolling around on the floor with swords, something could have happened in that melee. Maybe he'll suddenly fall off his horse after they ride a little way.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:03 am

He took a good bit of beating in the Inn, so I suspect we'll still get the same outcome for him.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:07 am

Yeah, Polliver and the Tickler stories were kind of merged and deaths switched. I think you are right, the way the series presented it makes more sense with the time line they are using.

Also wondering when we are getting back to Theon/Reek. Really need him in the future.

I could see the series and the books diverging quite a bit since the series will probably end long before book 7 is released. Hope the series doesnt tinge the story GRRM had planned. He is supposed to have revealed the plot for the shows producers in case anything happens to him so at least we would have that. Of course they could do prequels on their own and keep it going longer.

I always like the books to be over before the TV show but in this case it probably never would have happened.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:29 am

BTW, I have PDFs of the Dunk and Egg series, The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword and The Mystery Knight. If anyone wants them just PM me your email address and Ill send you them.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:18 am

Those stories are just as good as the main series, and they added a lot of weight to the setting for me. It also gives you a glimpse of a younger Bloodraven, who we meet again in the main series.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:17 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next