It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:20 pm

Game of Thrones 

Post Game of Thrones
Is anybody watching this show that hasn't read the books? If so, what did you think of last night's episode?

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:10 am
Profile Send private message YIM AIM

Post Re: Game of Thrones
I am not watching, but have read the books - what happened last night?

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:16 am
Profile Send private message

The Red Wedding.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:41 am

ohshi-

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:42 am

Yeah, people all over the internet are flipping right out over it, as was expected.

Apparently HBO "lost" a lot of viewers last night based on the comments... but I'll be they'll be glued to the screen during the season finale next week... hehehe

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:48 am

I'm just now catching up on my twitter feed from last night on. LOL @ comments.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:57 am

Comments were really funny wherever I looked.

Wish I hadnt read the books before I saw the series, last night was a little flat for me compared. Still great TV.

Ranter, Raver and Nitpicker Extraordinaire

So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause. - Star Wars

"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:07 pm

https://twitter.com/RedWeddingTears

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:16 pm

They did a good job of prefacing what the Rains of Castamere meant in the previous episode. So if you were paying close attention you would realize right along with Catelyn, "Why are they playing a song about the Lannisters murdering a rival house...?"

Sadly, even though they played the song in the previous episode and Cersei Lannister carefully explained the meaning AND the song was the title of the episode, I haven't seen any reference to that carefully crafted piece of storytelling in the reactions on the internet. It might be a bit of subtlety that was lost in all of the non-subtle tragedy occurring.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:26 pm

OK SPOILERS HEREIN

--- stop reading ----

--- seriously ---

someone On Twitter wrote:
Robb Stark and his mom better come back frm the dead or something

Response:

Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:36 pm

Here's a good discussion point: taking your spoiler to its conclusion, what is the "one word" uttered by Brienne?

I have my own theory of course. Just like all of my other Westerosi theories which I can discuss ad nauseum, but given GRRM penchant for subverting expectations, who knows how close to the mark any of them come.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:40 pm

Now that is something I've puzzled over. It's been some time now since I read the books. My best guess at the time I think was "Sansa" but I am not really so sure about that. I think that would have gotten her nowhere at that point. I wonder if we'll ever know.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:56 pm

I think it's easier than we're making it. I noticed on my second read-through of the books that Lady Stoneheart gives Brienne a clear choice of two alternatives before the hanging - that Brienne swear her sword to Lady Stoneheart and kill Jaime, or they hang - "sword or noose". Brienne refuses to answer so Stoneheart decides to hang them, but when Brienne sees that Ser Hyle and Podrick are going to hang with her, I think she chooses the other option and says "sword" or "swear".

If I'm right, it casts a morbid shadow over Brienne's only appearance in Dance With Dragons. She finds Jaime and persuades him to come with her to rescue Sansa, but we know what she tells Jaime is a lie. She draws him off on his own and she in on a quest to kill him... what will happen?

Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:08 am

Here's my Big Theory about the Ice and Fire series. There are spoilers below for anybody who hasn't read all of the books.

Where to start... with prophecies I guess. There are three heroes that prophecies say will come during the Winter and drive the Others back and defeat Evil and all of that good stuff. They are Azor Azhai, the Prince That Was Promised, and the Last Hero. I think Maester Aemon's visions about the Targaryens dovetails into this - when he wakes up from a fever dream at one point he screams out that the dragon always has three heads, it must have three heads, and he should have been with her. With who? Who knows, he might mean Dany but he also might be just feverish.

I think the prophecies point to the Targaryens conquering the land again, for the side of good. We have to remember that originally the Targaryens were good and benevolent leaders that brought order from chaos, it wasn't until later down the line that they went mad. Dany seems to be a Targaryen of the old variety, not corrupted by the politics of King's Landing, she is growing up to be a true Dragon. I think she is Azor Azhai. So much of the imagery fits her, and it's even possible that her dragons represent Lightbringer, the legendary sword used by Azor Azhai to fight Evil in the world. The prophecy says the original Lightbringer was quenched by the heart's blood of Azor Azhai's wife, her sacrifice made it possible, and it burned like fire. Well, it's easy to me to see how all of that fits nicely, and what are dragons but a different type of metaphorical sword?

The second head of the dragon is the Prince That Was Promised - and I believe this is Aegon Targaryen. We learn in ADWD that Aegon did not get his skull dashed against the wall when he was a baby after all, he was smuggled away and is now alive and well and in hiding. In the House of the Undying, Dany sees a vision of her brother Rhaegar and the warlock says "He names his son Aegon, and he is the Prince That Was Promised." Dany (and most readers) assume Rhaegar was supposed to be that Prince - indeed even Rhaegar himself thought as much. But I think they are talking about his son - Young Griff - Aegon. There's two Targaryens out there. Where is the third?

The third I think could be the Last Hero. But there's a problem here - both of the other prophecies seem to hail from Old Valyria, where the Targaryens come from - but the Last Hero is an old prophecy from the First Men that we hear from Old Nan. It is said that in old times he was chased out of the North by the Others and their giant pale spiders, but we don't know much else about him except that he is supposed to return when the world needs him. So who can that be?

Jon Snow.

Here's why I think that. There is a secret that Ned Stark holds onto all the way into his grave - it is the secret of what happened at the Tower of Joy, the event that kicked off Robert's Rebellion. We know that Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna stark and held her captive at the Tower of Joy and that Ned Stark and Howland Reed went to rescue her. They killed three prominent Kingsguard in the process and they failed to save Lyanna - she died and Robert marched his armies.

But Rhaegar loved Lyanna Stark, and I think the feeling was mutual. I think she was implicit in the "kidnapping" and that they holed up in the Tower of Joy to have a secret tryst. I also think that Lyanna got pregnant during this tryst, and that she actually died from the rigors of childbirth, and THAT was what Ned interrupted when he fought his way into the tower to rescue her. He was never willing to talk about Jon's mother - once he mentioned that she was a tavern maid or something to Robert, but I think that was just a throw-away answer to be done with the topic. I think Jon Snow is the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark, and that he is the third head of the dragon that will conquer Westeros again.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:57 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
I think it's easier than we're making it. I noticed on my second read-through of the books that Lady Stoneheart gives Brienne a clear choice of two alternatives before the hanging - that Brienne swear her sword to Lady Stoneheart and kill Jaime, or they hang - "sword or noose". Brienne refuses to answer so Stoneheart decides to hang them, but when Brienne sees that Ser Hyle and Podrick are going to hang with her, I think she chooses the other option and says "sword" or "swear".

If I'm right, it casts a morbid shadow over Brienne's only appearance in Dance With Dragons. She finds Jaime and persuades him to come with her to rescue Sansa, but we know what she tells Jaime is a lie. She draws him off on his own and she in on a quest to kill him... what will happen?

I'd forgotten those details. Good points.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:03 pm