It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:11 am

Coincidence ???? 
Site Admin

Post Coincidence ????
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44343546/ns ... ite_house/ .

Quote:
Boehner rejects Obama date for jobs speech
Speaker cites 'impediments' on GOP debate night; House historian calls move unprecedented
Below:

updated 1 hour 9 minutes ago 2011-08-31T21:52:13
Top congressional Republican John Boehner on Wednesday urged President Barack Obama to delay a planned jobs speech to a joint session of Congress by a day in order to avoid "impediments."

Obama had asked to address Congress at 8 p.m. EDT next Wednesday, a time that overlaps with a previously scheduled Republican presidential debate at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in California, sponsored by NBC News and POLITICO.

.."It is my recommendation that your address be held on the following evening, when we can ensure there will be no parliamentary or logistical impediments that might detract from your remarks," Boehner, the speaker of the Republican-controlled House of Representatives, said in a letter to the president.

"I respectfully invite you to address a Joint Session of Congress on Thursday, September 8, 2011 in the House Chamber, at a time that works best for your schedule," he said.

NBC's Luke Russert tweeted on Wednesday evening that the House historian labeled Boehner's public rebuff as unprecedented.

Earlier, in a letter to Boehner and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Obama asked for a joint session to be called in order to present his ideas on job creation and economic growth.

."As I have traveled across our country this summer and spoken with our fellow Americans, I have heard a consistent message: Washington needs to put aside politics and start making decisions based on what is best for our country and not what is best for each of our parties in order to grow the economy and create jobs. We must answer this call."

In a statement released following Obama's request, the sponsors said the debate "will continue to take place on September 7th. We are thrilled that we now have a terrific opportunity to hear from national leaders of both major parties about the most pressing domestic issues facing the country."

White House spokesman Jay Carney insisted at Wednesday's daily press briefing that the Republican debate was not a factor in the president's timing, calling it "coincidental."

Carney said the president wants to address Congress because their participation is needed to carry out his plans. "He believes the venue is appropriate because of the actions that need to taken," Carney said.

So far, only one Republican presidential campaign has commented on the scheduling scuffle. In a statement to NBC News, Romney spokesperson Andrea Saul said, "Next Wednesday night TV viewers will have a choice between Republican candidates talking about the future of America, or Barack Obama talking about the future of his presidency."

NBC's Garrett Haake, NBC's Luke Russert, The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

© 2011 msnbc.com

If You Use a Phone in Mexico, Can You Press 1 For English?

Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:07 pm
Profile Send private message
Site Admin

Post Re: Coincidence ????
two things.

1) what would it hurt to move it either back to Thurs or forward to Tues?

2) after 2.5 years, why is it so important all of the sudden to talk about jobs....America has been screaming for jobs since BO took office

If You Use a Phone in Mexico, Can You Press 1 For English?

Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:09 pm

Post Re: Coincidence ????
I know which one Id watch if both are on at the same time. Ive heard enough lies and campaign speeches from Bam Bam.. Now watch the Whiner-in-Chief throw a hissy fit for not getting his own way as usual. (if he doesnt)

Good for Boehner for having the balls our fearless leader lacks. That Debate has had a lot of time and planning spent on it and not easy to change. Also think of the people who have planned to travel to be there. Planning, another foreign word to the White House.

I just hope I live long enough to see this pseudo-Administration removed from power.

Ranter, Raver and Nitpicker Extraordinaire

So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause. - Star Wars

"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."

Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:15 am